- Bringing Boat West
- Migration West
- Final Family XC Trip
- Colorado Rockies
- Graduates' XC Trip
- Yosemite & Nevada
- Colorado & Utah
- Best of Utah
- Southern Loop
- Pacific Northwest
- Northern Loop
- Los Angeles to NYC
- East Coast Trips
- 1 Week in Quebec
- Southeast Coast
- NH Backpacking
- Martha's Vineyard
- Canadian Maritimes
- Ocracoke Island
- Edisto Island
- First Landing '02
- Hunting Island '02
- Stowe in Winter
- Hunting Island '01
- Lake Placid
- Hunting Island '00
- Acadia in Winter
- Boston Suburbs
- Niagara Falls
- First Landing '99
- Cape Hatteras
- West Coast Trips
- RV Rentals
Cross Country RV Road Trip Planner - Plan Your Route!!
During a 3 ½ week trip each summer with our two boys we've...
- Crossed the country 9 times in 14 years, covering 99,800 miles in our Lazy Daze motorhome
- Traveled through 49 states and 10 Canadian Provinces
- Visited 61 National Parks and over 50 State Parks
- Hiked, mountain biked, fished, and rafted in some of the most beautiful places in North America
- Made enough memories to last 4 lifetimes!
Contents of this 500 + page site include...
- Index of Cross Country, East Coast, and West Coast Trips
- Best Cross Country Driving Routes and Itineraries - with stops and mileages for each trip
- Travelogues - our personal experiences at each stop
- Overview Map - of the USA and Canada with push pin links to each stop we've been to
- Activities - that we have done (such as hikes, mountain biking, etc.)
- Best Cross Country Travel Books - references we've used in planning our trips
- Photographs & Videos - of the various places we've visited
- Motorhome Rentals - Why and How you can rent a motorhome of your own
- Top Highlights - places and activities not to be missed
- Tips - to maximize your travel experience
December 19, 2016 Update
Home at Last!! After spending the winter months on a KOA monthly site and then renting an apartment in Sebastopol for 3 months we finally found and successfully closed on the “home of our dreams.”
We were hopelessly unprepared for the real estate market in Sonoma County. Having left a buyers’ market in NJ where it would take 6+ months to sell our home, the realities of the Sonoma County sellers’ market was hard to fathom. Due to the short supply of desirable housing in Sonoma we literally were forced to bid on newly listed homes at prices that often exceeded 10% of asking price. The time on market was literally less than 1 week.
However, all was for the best when we finally decided to look at a 55+ community called Oakmont, in the Sonoma Valley. Nestled between two mountain ranges and surrounded by state parks it is a very quiet, yet very active adult community. We are now residents for over 6 months and still pinch ourselves each morning at the good fortune we had to find this home and community.
However, another reason for the delay in updating our website is due to the considerable travels we have taken during that time.
In mid-September we flew to NJ to tow our 20’ Grady White boat west using our 20 year old rusted Chevrolet Suburban for what would almost certainly be our final cross-country road trip. We had some great times to go with some big stresses that are documented in Bringing the Boat West. Highlights of this trip included a full exploration of Petrified Forest National Park, and a few nights boat camping on Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
We also spent a few July weeks in Yosemite and the Eastern Sierras available at Yosemite & Eastern Sierras which included an exploration of Tuolumne Meadows and another kayak trip on Mono Lake.
Finally, in late October we visited Yosemite and Pinnacles including the Hetch Hetchy section. While it rained for much of our time in the valley, the good news is that the waterfalls and valley fog made for some of my best photographic efforts to date. Pinnacles too was a great destination, and one to which we will probably return to climb with the boys.
I continue to be negligent in updating the videos, but for now the list of my favorites remains unchanged at:
- Sliding on Saucers down the sand dunes of White Sands National Monument
- Boating and Camping on Heron Lake State Park
- Sliding down the rocks in Slide Rock State Park
- Boating in a raft on Lake Powell
- Rafting the Colorado River north of Moab, UT
On a personal note... something that this website has given our entire family that was not part of the original goal is an awareness of how documenting one's travels will both preserve and enhance your appreciation of the experience, for years after the trip was taken. I am regularly amazed at how little of our previous travels we can recall, unless they were preserved with photos, videos, and hopefully a compelling narrative. While it might initially seem a bit of bother to pose the family photos or stage a video shoot, the value of these moments seems to grow exponentially with the passage of time. This is especially true when the subjects include children that rapidly evolve into adolescents and adults with the passing of every year.
Finally, if anyone is reading this, we would love to hear from you, especially if you are planning your own road trip adventure. Comments from experienced travelers on each of the stops are also greatly appreciated. We plan on revisiting many of our favorite locations, and if you could add a bit of local knowledge beyond that which we have already included, it would help us to continue our explorations.
A word of warning
This mode of travel is not for everyone. Some of the daily mileages are well above what many would consider recreational, and the pace of activities could be described as frenetic, so you might want to add a few days or remove a few stops to make your trip more relaxing. Still if you like..
- Exploring natural wonders
- Being physically active - hiking, biking, swimming, etc.
- Getting away from the crowds
- Bonding with your offspring or significant other
then you might find something of use in this site. Check out the routes we traveled by hovering your mouse over the year links on the map, and then select one that might be of interest. From that trip's itinerary, select a place of interest.
Go to About to learn more about our setup and who we are.
Thanks for visiting!!